Saturday, November 23, 2013

DIY Extract Experiment: Part 1

while back I promised that I would document the extract making process from start to finish with different spirits. Life got in the way and I didn't BUT Trader Joe's is stocking their vanilla beans again ($3.99 for a 2 pack!) so I stocked up and went to the brand new liquor store conveniently located across the street and got some mini-bottles.

The first batch I made was with Jameson that I had in the house and decanted into an empty vanilla extract bottle. Other than the FOUR KINDS OF BOOZE, the only major change from last time is less bean in the bottle. It seems that most people on the internet recommend putting 3-4 vanilla beans in a mason jar of alcohol to steep for their extract recipes. This may increase the waiting time, but I am probably working with a smaller volume of alcohol this time around so I'm optimistic that I'll have some new extracts to try out in a month.


These are the spirits that I decided on, left to right, light rum, dark rum, basic whiskey, bourbon. Just wanted to get a reference shot for color before the beans were added. Yes, that is a bottle of whiskey on the counter and that is my cocktail behind the Bacardi. You don't know me! Actually, if you're reading this, you probably do know me. Nevermind.


With the beans: there is a vanilla bean, split lengthwise, in each bottle. I was lucky enough to get them all into the bottles and completely submerged without any issues of overflow. Obviously, the Bacardi is the only one with a very definitive "before" color. I was smart enough to take some start photos so that I can compare each week. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for a trend in coloration.


And now they rest in my cupboard for a month. Let's hope lightning strikes twice and I get some good batches out of this endeavor.

Total cost: $3.99 for vanilla beans, $16 at the liquor store (that little bourbon was $5, bit much but the bottle is adorable).

Time: I had enough time to make a cocktail and do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment