Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bourbon Peach Upside Down Cake

I have been even worse at updating and baking than usual. I've been meaning to make something summery for the better part of a month and I nearly had an anxiety attack when I saw mums and acorn squash outside of Whole Foods last week. Seriously fall, back off. I am not ready for you yet and I want at least another week to laze around and be on semi-vacation mode all.

I was in Connecticut visiting friends over Labor Day weekend or, as I like to call it, Last Weekend of Summer. I decided to commemorate my last trip of the summer with a cake. Nothing says summer like peaches and my go-to summer whiskey: bourbon. This bourbon cake was really a multi-tasker. I failed to bring a gift and it was an excuse to go to the liquor store and find some Hudson Baby Bourbon, which I had been hunting down all summer because it's handmade in New York (first home state bourbon!) and it's the first whiskey made there since Prohibition. A bit pricey at $40, but it was totally worth it.


Total time: 1 hour for baking, plus 10 minutes for cooling.


VERDICT: Having never made an upside down cake, I was rather pleased with how it turned out. The topping really caramelizes in the oven and the brown sugar gives it this intense taste that stands up to the bourbon. My peach slices were 1/4" thick. I would go for a thicker cut so that there's more peach flavor. My only other regret was not having some vanilla ice cream over a warm slice of cake (yum).





Left: Cake. The peaches slide when the sauce is poured. Not the prettiest, but it gets the job done.
Right: The inspiration. Hudson Baby Bourbon and fresh peaches :)



Bourbon Peach Upside Down Cake

adapted from "Whisky Peach Upside Down Cake" recipe from Crepes of Wrath, yields 1 8"X8" cake

Topping:

3-4 ripe peaches, sliced 1/2" thick
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/2 cup butter

Batter:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon whiskey vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup bourbon

1. Preheat oven 350F. Butter bottom and sides of baking pan (my host had a square one, feel free to use a round one).
2. Prepare topping. Melt butter in saucepan on low-medium. Add brown sugar and simmer for 5 minutes. Take off heat and stir in bourbon.
3. Line bottom of baking pan with peaches. Pour butter and brown sugar sauce over the peaches.
4. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
5. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, to butter mixture. Add vanilla.
7. Alternate flour mixture with bourbon and mix until just blended. The batter may look slightly curdled; this is fine.
8. Spoon batter evenly over peaches. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before inverting and serving cake.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see you, thanks for the tasty cake! :)

    ReplyDelete