Saturday, November 17, 2012

Mini Pumpkin Souffles

I realized that it's almost DECEMBER and I hadn't made anything with pumpkin yet. Fall is hands down my favorite season and it's rare that there is a non-chocolate dessert that people love so I jump on the chance to bake with pumpkin. The other mini souffles turned out well so I decided to try a non-chocolate option (I almost always try a new cake recipe with chocolate first; it hides a multitude of sins).

On a more pathetic note, the thought of missing out on the short window of time where pumpkin puree is readily available hurt so much that I actually went to the store after vowing that I was going to be lazy and use whatever I had on hand and hoarded an extra 2 cans of the stuff for later.

Total prep time: 15 minutes + 20 minutes baking and cooling
Verdict: These were much more moist, for lack of a better word, than the chocolate ones. I'm not sure if it's because I had them in the oven for less time or if it's because I didn't remove them from the muffin tin right away and they ended up steaming while they were cooling. Overall, they're not very sweet. I would add milk to the mixture to make it more custard-y or serve them with a cinnamon/brown sugar/graham cracker topping to up the dessert factor.


my collapsed souffle :(


Mini Pumpkin Souffles

Adapted from Comfy Tummy, yields 12 mini souffles

1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Whiskey Vanilla Extract
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1. Preheat oven to 375F, spray or grease baking dish (ramekin if you have it, muffin tin works too).
2. Combine 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, spices and pumpkin puree.
3. In a separate (not plastic) bowl, add 1 tablespoon sugar to the egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin batter. Work in small batches, adding egg whites in thirds to the batter, until the egg whites have just been incorporated into the batter.
5. Fill baking dish/cups/tin to the brim and bake for 12-15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment